Summer is here, thunderstorms are coming, here are a couple simple tips to protect your business from a serious problem:
- Make sure your server is plugged into a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Source), if you don't have one get one - today.
- Check your batteries - The UPS runs on batteries and most newer units have a self test feature, check it and replace if needed.
- Backups - make sure you are doing them and now is the time to test them, before disaster strikes.
- Power Users - get them there own protection, each office has them, they store information locally as well as the server, get them a small dedicated ups, a small investment that will pay big dividends.
- Have a Disaster Recovery Plan - power often goes out at night and over a weekend. How will you know before you role in Monday morning, and then what will you do - a simple list of who does what, and where everything is can make the difference between a short interruption and a long delay.
- Vacations, what happens when Mary in IT is off for two weeks and the power goes off and then the server shuts down - who can turn it back on and get the users back on line - see #5